Banitsa is not only my favorite, but all of my friends favorite Bulgarian dish! It is a Bulgarian classic that is made for breakfast, parties and for New Years Eve. Banitsa is really fluffy, comforting and full of flavor. This savory pasty will easily become your new favorite dish! It tastes delicious served with Greek plain yogurt and tomatoes.
We have a tradition of writing happy wishes and wrapping each one on a tooth pick that sticks into a slice of banitsa. These happy wishes include health, happiness, travel, success, etc. The oldest member of the family spins the banitsa around and each person takes a piece. It is believed that this will be their luck for the New Year.
Happy New Year! xx
- 1 pack phyllo dough (about 20 sheets), thawed
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sparling water
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 stick grass-fed butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- STEP 2. In a bowl, whisk yogurt and baking soda. Add eggs, cheese, salt, and sparkling water. Mix well.
- STEP 3. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- STEP 4. Grease the bottom and sides of a 13×9 glass pyrex pan.
- STEP 5. Cover the bottom with 3 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each one lightly with the melted butter.
- STEP 6. Add a fourth sheet without brushing it with butter and with a spoon, spread part of the cheese filling evenly.
- STEP 7. Cover with 3 sheets of phyllo dough (repeat step 5 & 6).
- STEP 8. Finish with 3 sheets of phyllo dough. Pour the rest of the melted butter and cheese filling over the banitsa.
- STEP 9. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.