This delicious PB & banana treat will become one of your favorite indulgence. My friend Arwa made it and brought it to me one day during class at NYU. Once I tasted it, I immediately asked her for the recipe so I can share it with you! Make sure the bananas you use are very ripe, the kind that have many dark spots on the outside. They are better for digestion and have a lower GI.
Chewy PB & Banana Oat Squares
Makes 24 squares
- 1 cup organic creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 & 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional: more for drizzling)
- STEP 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9×13″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- STEP 2. Place the peanut butter and coconut oil (if it’s solid) in a large microwave bowl and heat for 20 – 30 seconds until melted then whisk well to combine.
- STEP 3. Add the mashed banana, maple syrup, beaten egg, vanilla, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and whisk until incorporated. Stir in the oats until they’re coated evenly with the mixture, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- STEP 4. Pour the mixture into the pan and smooth evenly with a spatula. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown and set aside to cool.
- STEP 5. Cool on a wire rack, drizzle chocolate (optional), and cut into squares . Enjoy!