This is the most delicious, decadent, flourless chocolate cake that you will ever taste. My mom has been making this cake also known as “Torta Garash” since I was a child in Bulgaria. It quickly became my friends favorite dessert when they would come over for dinner. The original recipe uses 1 stick of butter, we chose to cut the butter in half and add in some coconut oil. After all, coconut and chocolate go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Walnuts
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 stick soft butter, plus more to grease the pan
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cacao
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 bar of dark chocolate to grate on top
- sliced strawberries to serve
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- STEP 2. Separate the yolks from the egg whites and place each in two separate bowls.
- STEP 3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and lemon using a mixer until they become white and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- STEP 4. In a smaller bowl, beat the soft butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar and honey with a mixer. Add the egg yolks and cacao powder and beat until mixed well.
- STEP 5. If the walnuts are not already chopped, then add them into a small food processor and pulse until they become very finely chopped. Add the walnuts to the bowl with egg whites.
- STEP 6. Take half of the mixture from the egg yolks bowl and add it to the bowl of egg whites. The other half you will use to spread on the cake once its baked.
- STEP 7. Grease an 8 inch cake pan with butter, and place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom. I cut the paper to fit exactly in the pan.
- STEP 8. Add the mixture with egg whites to the pan and bake on 350 F for 15 – 20 minutes. Take a toothpick and stick through to see if it comes out clear, if it does then the cake is ready.
- STEP 9. Let the cake cool completely and transfer to a serving platter. Once cooled, spread the left over mixture on top and over the sides.
- STEP 10. Grate dark chocolate on top evenly and you can serve with sliced strawberries if you like.