One of the best ways to stay healthy and watch our calorie intake is to cook most meals at home. However, I know that is completely impossible. Most of us have a bustling social life that keeps us dining out more often than not. It can definitely be tricky to watch the calories we consume when eating out at restaurants as they are notorious for using excess butter and sometimes it is just too hard to say no to dessert. Follow these easy Healthy with Nedi tips to maintain your figure while enjoying the hottest new restaurants in town.
Healthy with Nedi’s Dining Out Tips
- Always skip the bread basket.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the chef to cook your food in olive oil instead of butter. Most chefs will be happy to accommodate your dietary needs.
- Request salad dressing on the side or even better – simply ask for fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Choose protein wisely. Ask the waiter if the meat is grass-fed or if the seafood is wild. If it is not, stick to vegetarian dishes.
- Sharing is caring. Get two appetizers and an entrée to share with your sweetheart.
- Restaurants often serve huge portions, so order a half portion of pasta instead of the full. Most establishments will accommodate this request. If not, then ask the waiter to pack half of your meal in a to go box and save the left over for next day’s lunch or give it to your doorman.
- Opt for grilled or baked dishes instead of fried.
- Make healthy swaps by choosing whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice instead of calorie loaded mashed potatoes.
- Skip the sugary Cosmo and drink a glass of red wine instead.
- Eat slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your stomach that you are no longer hungry.
- Get the dessert! I am not kidding. You are better off ordering a dessert for the table and having 2-3 bites rather than going home and eating a carton of ice cream.