Warming family-friendly lentil soup for the cold winter months. Lentils are a great source of fiber, protein and are a low-calorie food. They help control weight management, lower the risk of cancer, aid in digestion, boost metabolism, and help control diabetes.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- STEP 1. In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- STEP 2. Add garlic, lentils, tomatoes, water or vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the oregano and chili flakes.
- STEP 3. Simmer covered for 1 hour, until the lentils are soft. Turn off heat and top with parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.