My mom and I tried this recipe by making our own meringues and it didn’t turn out quite as well as it did with the store bought meringues. I came across Krunchy Melts and find them to be a pretty good brand, they even have sugar free meringues. This cake can be done with any flavor meringues you like, I personally think the cappuccino flavor goes really well with the espresso in the cake. This is a raw cake, and I recommend you get good quality, fresh eggs from the farmers market. Make sure that you take the eggs and mascarpone out of the fridge so they can sit out at room temperature for about an hour before you start cooking.
Mocha Meringues Cake
- 3 organic eggs, at room temperature
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 drops fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Marsala wine
- 1 eight oz container mascarpone, at room temperature
- 2 boxes cappuccino meringues (I use krunchy melts, 4 oz. total)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate
- 1.5 oz milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- STEP 1. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and place both in two different glass bowls.
- STEP 2. Add a pinch of sea salt and 2-3 drops fresh lemon juice to egg whites. Using a hand mixer, start beating the whites at a low speed until foamy and then increase the speed to medium. Do not beat on high. Set aside.
- STEP 3. Add coconut sugar, vanilla extract and marsala to the bowl with egg yolks and mix with a hand mixer until creamy. Add the mascarpone and whisk carefully until well combined. Add the egg whites to this mixture and mix using hand mixer on low speed until smooth.
- STEP 4. Add the meringues and macadamia nuts to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Spread half of this mixture in a glass 8 inch by 8 inch pan.
- STEP 5. Spread the egg and mascarpone mixture on top evenly.
- STEP 6. Add the remaining of the meringues and macadamia nuts. Sprinkle with the rest of the espresso. Refrigerate for 20 minutes while you make the chocolate ganache.
- STEP 7. Melt chocolate and coconut milk and set a side for a minute. Pour over the cake (starting from the middle). Chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight and serve with raspberries.