One of my favorite tweaks to high-carb pasta is substituting it for chickpea pasta! Banza chickpea pasta is high in protein at 25 grams, high in fiber at 13 grams and low in carbs offering 1/2 the net carbs of regular pasta. You can actually eat this without feeling bloated and it tastes amazing with this hearty, vegan-pumpkin sauce.
Pumpkin Chickpea Pasta
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pack chickpea pasta (I like to use Banza)
- STEP 1. Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes, until translucent. Add the curry, cumin, and vegetable broth, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the pumpkin purée, coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a soft boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and thickens.
- STEP 2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per box directions. Drain pasta and toss into the pumpkin sauce. Mix well and serve with parsley.