Using spices is one of the best ways to add flavor (and sometimes health benefits) to your meals without adding extra calories. I’ve listed my personal favorites below. These easy spices will enhance the flavor of even the blandest meals.
What’s on Healthy with Nedi’s Spice Rack?
- Cumin. Cumin has an incredible earthy flavor that enhances all sorts of dishes. Some of the health benefits of cumin include its ability to aid in digestion, helps remove toxins from the body, boosts the immune system and has been found to be beneficial for lactating mothers. One of my favorite recipes to make with cumin is an easy marinated chicken – you can find this recipe here.
- Turmeric. Like the other spices on here, Turmeric doesn’t have a strong flavor, it is touted as a powerful anti-inflammatory. Curcumin, the yellow pigment in turmeric, has been shown to fight free radicals, protect the liver against toxins, lower cholesterol and improve blood vessel health. I love to start my morning with a warm cup of water with lemon and a dash of turmeric. Try adding it to one of these amazing Healthy with Nedi dishes.
- Chili Flakes. A little bit of these spicy sprinkles go a long way. Capsaicin has been shown to improve circulation, speed blood flow, and enhance endorphin release. I like to add a pinch of chili flakes to my yummy avocado baked eggs and more.
- Himalayan Pink Salt. Himalayan Pink Salt is seriously amazing it is so simple, yet adds incredible flavor to any dish that calls for salt. It also has the added benefit of trace minerals! I like to top my Avocado Toast with pink salt. It can really be used anywhere in place of table salt.
- Kelp Granules. Kelp granules are a great, natural alternative for salt if you are looking to reduce your sodium intake. You can find kelp granules at your local natural grocery store or online.
- Garlic Powder. Garlic powder is like adding salt to flavor, but with a kick. You can add garlic powder to almost anything savory to easily enhance flavor. Garlic detoxifies the body and protects against infection by enhancing immune function. Here are some Healthy with Nedi recipes that use garlic powder.
- Cayenne. Cayenne provides a spicy flavor and also incredible health benefits. Cayenne peppers are high in a substance called capsaicin which can help relieve pain and protect against cancer. One of my favorite recipes that uses cayenne are roasted sweet potato fries. Find the recipe for these fries and more here.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon can add a sweet flavor to many dishes without the sugar! In fact, it has even been shown to lower blood sugar levels. Cinnamon warms the body and enhances digestion, especially the metabolism of fats. Here are my favorite recipes that use cinnamon.
- Nutmeg. Nutmeg is a great seasonal spice that has a long list of health benefits, including its ability to relieve pain, soothe digestion, strengthen cognitive function, detoxify the body, and improve blood circulation. Adding nutmeg to desserts and smoothies can make everything taste like the holidays.
- Nutritional Yeast. Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is sometimes used to replace cheese. It also contains protein and Vitamin B12 making it a great option for Vegans. Nutritional yeast is the secret ingredient in my famous Zucchini Bread.