I love cream soup, without the cream… it is a pure comfort bowl! This soup is free from dairy and gluten, and the white beans add body and protein without distracting from the rich sweet potato flavor. Try serving it with chopped green apple and a spoonful of Greek yogurt or vegan sour cream for a tangy flavor. For my vegan friends, skip the yogurt – tastes just as good! xx
Sweet Potato and White Bean Soup
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium, vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- sliced green apple
- Greek plain yogurt (vegan sour cream can be used)
- fresh sage
- STEP 1. Wash the potatoes with water, peel and cut them in large pieces.
- STEP 2. In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, turmeric and sage. Sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- STEP 3. Add the potatoes, stock, coconut milk, water and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add the canned beans and turn off heat.
- STEP 4. In small batches, transfer the vegetables to a high-powered blender. Add broth as you go, depending on how thick or thin you want the soup to be. For thicker, add less broth, and for thinner add more broth. Blend until smooth.
- STEP 5. Pour the soup back into the pot. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- STEP 6. Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy with any of the suggested toppings!