Okra is a really great veggie that tastes exquisite when paired with chicken. It is the perfect hearty fall dish to enjoy on a cozy Sunday night. Okra is low in calories, high in dietary fiber and contains many vitamins, including A, B, C, E, and K. Okra nutrition provides many health benefits, such as improving heart health, eyesight and cholesterol levels. Studies have suggested that eating okra may help lower blood sugar in cases of diabetes. You can easily double the recipe by using more chicken drums and okra and baking it in a larger pan.
Baked Chicken With Okra
- 1 lb. okra (try to get baby okra)
- 5 organic chicken drums
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- STEP 1. Clean okra by cutting the top hard part off and rinse with water. If you buy frozen okra you can skip this step.
- STEP 2. Fill a pot with water, 1 tea spoon salt and place chicken drums inside. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to low. Discard any excess foam/fat from the top. Simmer for 30 minutes and turn off heat. Don’t discard the broth.
- STEP 3. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- STEP 4. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic, and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the grated tomatoes, okra, parsley, turmeric, chili flakes and black pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- STEP 6. In a baking pan, combine the sautéed veggies and chicken. Add enough chicken broth to the pan so that it covers the chicken half way.
- STEP 7. Bake on 400 F for 40 minutes, until golden.