I’ve created this cake in the shape of a heart for Valentine’s Day, if you don’t have a heart shaped pan at home, a regular 8-inch will be just fine. The cake is so light and incredibly delicious. Pairs really well with vegan vanilla ice-cream.
Chocolate Cake with Coconut Filling
For The Chocolate Batter:
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For The Coconut Filling:
- 1 tbsp honey,
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
For The Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/2 full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 2 cups strawberries, thinly sliced
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- STEP 2. Grease an 8 inch cake pan with coconut oil, and place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom. I cut the paper to fit exactly in the pan.
- STEP 3. In a bowl, mix together the cacao powder, almond flour, and coconut sugar.
STEP 4. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- STEP 5. Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients using a rubber spatula.
- STEP 6. Spread batter evenly in the pan and bake at 350 F for 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Take out of oven and cool.
For Coconut Filling:
- Mix all of the ingredients for the coconut filling together until well combined. Spread the mixture over the top of the cooled cake and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- STEP 1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Once melted, stir in the coconut milk and mix until the glaze is smooth. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake.
- STEP 2. Top with sliced strawberries and refrigerate for about 2 hours, to allow the glaze to set.