If I had to choose one last meal on earth it would be my Grandma’s spanakopita also known as spinach pie. This is the most delicious savory pastry you will ever taste – take my word for it! I grew up eating this decadent spinach pie for breakfast on the weekends and it is still my favorite meal in the world. We like to serve it with sliced tomatoes and plain Greek yogurt.
For The Mix:
- 3-4 tbsp extra – virgin olive oil
- 1 (16 oz.) bag spinach
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 5 eggs (save 1 for the end)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
For The Phyllo Dough:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2-3 tbsp extra – virgin olive oil
- 1 packet phyllo dough
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 375 F or 185 C.
- STEP 2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté spinach, leek, green onions, and parsley until spinach is wilted. You may have to do this in batches. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- STEP 3. In a large mixing bowl, crack 4 eggs and beat with a fork. Add the yogurt, baking soda and crumbled feta cheese. Mix very well and add the cooled spinach mix to the bowl. Stir until well combined.
- STEP 4. Combined the melted butter and olive oil in a small bowl.
- STEP 5. Lightly grease a baking tray using a silicone brush, and lay out a phyllo dough sheet. Lightly grease the phyllo dough sheet with the brush and repeat this two times.
- STEP 6. Lay out the third phyllo dough sheet and add a few tablespoons of the spinach mixture. Make sure to spread it out evenly and cover all the dry parts.
- STEP 7. Lay out a phyllo dough sheet and brush it with the butter and oil mixture. Lay out one more phyllo dough sheet and repeat. On every third phyllo dough sheet, add spinach mixture. Repeat these steps until the spinach mixture is gone.
- STEP 8. Lay out one final phyllo dough sheet. Crack the last remaining egg into the spinach mixture bowl and mix it with the left over butter and oil. Pour over the top of the last phyllo dough sheet and the spinach pie is ready to bake.
- STEP 9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- STEP 10. Remove from oven. Wet your hands with a little water and sprinkle the spinach pie lightly. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Slice into squares and serve with Greek yogurt and sliced tomatoes.