This lemon chicken with artichoke is incredibly delicious. It is so comforting and it is perfect for a cold fall/winter day. My grandma always makes stews with slow cooked chicken and artichoke bottoms. I added the lemon and it turned out really good. Serve this dish with cauliflower rice or quinoa. It can be eaten on its own as a stew as well. Enjoy!
Lemon Chicken with Artichokes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 cups artichoke bottoms
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 4-5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp parsley, diced
- STEP 1. In a large pot, heat ghee and olive oil. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sauté on both sides for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken is golden.
- STEP 2. Add the onions to the same pot and add more olive oil if needed. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- STEP 3. Add the leek, carrots, pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and artichoke bottoms.
- STEP 4. Season with cumin, cumin seeds, turmeric, paprika, chili flakes.
- STEP 5. Add the lemon juice and sliced lemon.
- STEP 6. Add enough of the vegetable broth so that the chicken is fully covered. Cook covered on medium to high heat for one hour.
- STEP 7. Turn the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes uncovered. Add the parsley at the end and stir so it mixes well.
- STEP 8. Serve on its own or over cauliflower rice or quinoa. Enjoy!
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: