I love finding new and innovative ways to add more fiber into my diet. What could be better than doing so by eating one of my favorite foods – pasta! Tolerant uses only ONE ingredient (lentils in this recipe) and turns it into a delicious and nutritious one of a kind pasta. This lentil pasta with meatballs will quickly become one of your go-to weeknight meals. You can easily prepare it in under 30 minutes and it is packed with nutrients. A 3.5 oz. serving provides you with 25 grams protein, 44% of your daily recommended fiber, full serving of vegetables, and vitamin B6, iron, folate, and zinc. The best part is that this heavenly pasta is gluten-free so those who can’t tolerate gluten can enjoy this dish without having to suffer any discomfort.
Lentil Pasta with Meatballs
1 package Tolerant Green Lentil Penne
For The Meatballs:
- 1/2 lbs grass-fed beef
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For The Sauce
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 24 oz tomato sauce (I use Organico Bello)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (vegan cheese can be used)
- Chili flakes
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- STEP 2. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef with all of the spices. Mix it using your hands, until well combined.
- STEP 3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form small meatballs. Bake for 7 minutes, until brown. Take out of oven and set aside.
- STEP 4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion for 2 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and baby portobello. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the mushrooms have browned. Add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- STEP 5. Serve the pasta in a bowl, top with tomato sauce, meatballs and add your favorite toppings.
Tools/Products For This Recipe: