Mish-mash is a quick, simple vegetarian dish. It’s very traditional in Bulgaria and whenever I make it, I get flashback of my mom whipping this up for me as a child. It is easy to make with just a few ingredients, such as roasted peppers, tomatoes, cheese and eggs. Mish-mash can be served either as a main or a side dish.
Mishmash: Bulgarian Egg Dish
- 4 sweet Italian peppers, I like to use 2 green and 2 red
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Bulgarian feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- handful of parsley, chopped
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- STEP 1. This is optional but I prefer to roast the peppers in the oven, you don’t have to but it definitely tastes better! Peel peppers (if roasted) and slice in small pieces.
- STEP 2. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the onions and peppers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. If you use raw peppers, double the time.
- STEP 3. Add grated tomato to the skillet and cook for another minute.
- STEP 4. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and feta cheese. Scramble and pour the mixture in the skillet. Stir continuously until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- STEP 5. Garnish with chopped parsley and red crushed pepper.