This is a really easy and delicious vegetarian recipe. It can be served as an entree or as a side. For my vegan friends, skip the cheese and sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top. Sweet potatoes are very nutritious being that they are high in vitamin A, B6, C and a great source of potassium, fiber, manganese, and copper. Enjoy!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 can organic, plain lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup feta or goat cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil/coconut oil
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- STEP 2. Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper and place potatoes on it. Poke a few holes in each potato using a fork.
- STEP 3. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes, until soft.
- STEP 4. In a separate bowl, mash the avocado with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- STEP 5. Drain and rinse lentils from the can.
- STEP 6. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Cut them open lengthwise, and scoop out some of the inside flesh. You can save it for later and make a sweet potato mash.
- STEP 7. Spread a little bit of olive oil or coconut oil over each potato. Fill the potatoes with lentils, avocado and top with crumbled feta, cilantro and chili flakes.