These zucchini lasagna rolls are filled with bolognese sauce and make the perfect low carb dinner dish. They are filling, comforting and super flavorful. If you are vegan, try mushrooms or tempeh instead of beef.
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely chopped
- ½ lb grass-fed ground beef
- ¼ lb pasture raised ground pork
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2-3 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 large zucchini
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, vegan cheese can be used as well
- STEP 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- STEP 2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper and jalapeño. Sauté for 2 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
- STEP 3. Add the ground meat and spices. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. I like to use two wooden spoons to break up the meat into very small pieces. We don’t want any large chunks.
- STEP 4. Add the tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes on medium to high heat. Turn off heat and add basil to the sauce. Stir well and transfer the Bolognese to a large mixing bowl.
- STEP 5. Cut the ends off of the zucchini. Using a vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini long ways. Make sure you get very thin slices and discard any of the small ribbons from the outer edges of the zucchini. I like to place paper towels between each zucchini layer so that it can soak up excess water.
- STEP 6. Using a cutting board, lay out three slices of zucchini. I like to put the middle slice first and the other two on either side, making sure they slightly overlap.
- STEP 7. Place 1-2 tablespoons of the Bolognese mixture at the bottom end of the zucchini slices. Roll the zucchini up over the Bolognese and place in a large baking dish. Make sure to place the rolls in the dish with the loose end facing down.
- STEP 8. Repeat with remaining zucchini slices and Bolognese until the dish is tightly filled with rolls.
- STEP 9. Top the rolls with extra Bolognese sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- STEP 10. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the zucchini is tender and the cheese melts.
- STEP 11. Once the rolls are cooked, remove from the oven. Make sure to remove any excess water from the dish before serving. Enjoy!
Tools/Products Used For Recipe: