This is an ideal vegetarian dish to make during the holidays and serve at a dinner party or bring to a family gathering! The lasagna is filling, gluten free, and full of flavor! It’s a great way to sneak in spinach and mushrooms for the kiddos. To cut down on cooking time, I cheat and use Rao’s homemade marinara sauce. I love it and find it to be one of the healthier options on the market. This lasagna makes the entire house smell so delicious and inviting – the end result is a comforting meal that everyone will love!
Vegetarian Lasagna With Spinach & Mushrooms
- 9 cooked brown rice lasagna noodles
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 oz. baby spinach
- 1 (16oz.) container ricotta cheese, I like to use Kite Hill vegan ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- Rao’s marinara sauce (24 oz.), can use any organic marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mix of your favorite, can be vegan)
- STEP 1. Cook pasta as per box instructions. I like to use gluten free, brown rice.
- STEP 2. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- STEP 3. Cook the spinach with a tablespoon of olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted and place in a glass bowl.
- STEP 4. In a separate large bowl, mix ricotta cheese and eggs.
- STEP 5. In a large sauce pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Layer The Lasagna As Follows:
- STEP 1. Spread 3-4 large table spoons of the pasta sauce on the bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- STEP 2. Arrange 3 lasagna noodle lengthwise over pasta sauce.
- STEP 3. Spread a few table spoons ricotta cheese and top with spinach.
- STEP 4. Top with a few table spoons of pasta sauce so it spreads evenly.
- STEP 5. Repeat the next two layers the same way, finishing with pasta sauce on top. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- STEP 6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
TIP: You can pre make the lasagna the night before and just pop it in the oven when you are ready to serve.