Easy health tips that make a difference
Here are 7 simple health tips that you can incorporate into your daily routine, right now:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. According to MyFitnessPal walking upstairs for 5 minutes will burn up to 35 calories, way more than standing still in an elevator. Walking up the stairs is also great for toning your legs and glutes.
- Ride the bike into town instead of driving. According to MyFitness Pal even a light bike ride for 20 minutes can burn over 100 calories. Plus, you get the added benefit of fresh air and scenery.
- Drink a healthy smoothie instead of a milkshake. MyFitness Pal lists the calories in a 12oz Dulce de Leche Milkshake from McDonald’s to be 580 calories, alternately a 12oz Strawberry Banana Smoothie from McDonalds is listed at 190 calories. Not that I suggest you go to McDs but it is just a simple example!
- Have a piece of fresh fruit instead of drinking boxed juice. Boxed juice is full of sugar (and often chemicals and preservatives). Fresh fruit gives you the same great flavor, with the added benefit of natural fiber which helps our digestion and balances blood sugar.
- Enjoy a spritzer of fresh lemon or mint and sparkling water instead of soda. If you trade in soda for a spritzer, you will still get the refreshing effervescence and fresh flavor without all of the calories (a 12oz soda contains 140 calories).
- Cook dinner instead of ordering takeout. Restaurants are notorious for adding extra fat and salt to dishes to add flavor. Opting to cook at home allows you to control oil content and calories.
- Do 20 squats while brushing your teeth. Why not do a few tush toners while you’re alone in the bathroom brushing your teeth?! 😉