It is National Pizza Day today and I am excited to share this awesome recipe with all of you! Broccoli crust pizza is a great alternative to regular pizza crust. It is higher in fiber, lower in calories and carbs. One regular slice of cheese pizza can be around 500 calories and 35 grams of carbs. One slice of broccoli crust pizza is 120 calories and only 6g carbs! As you see, this is a huge difference. The crust tastes so delicious, you will never want to eat regular pizza ever again. If you like, you can buy 2-3 broccoli heads, and make 2 or 3 pizza crusts out of it. Freeze them and have them on a day when you don’t feel like cooking much.I have also made this pizza using vegan cheese, so if you are dairy free – go for it!
Broccoli Crust Pizza
For The Crust:
- 2 cups grated broccoli
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
For The Toppings:
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded (regular cheese can be used as well)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- STEP 2. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the grated broccoli. Stir with a spatula for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- STEP 3. In a large mixing bowl add the broccoli, Parmesan cheese, egg, and the spices. Mix well with your hands.
- STEP 4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the broccoli mixture over it. Spread it out in a circle to form the pizza crust. Flatten out any uneven areas and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately transfer the crust to a metal cooling rack, removing the parchment paper. Sometimes I just flip over the crust on the same pan and discard the parchment paper. This will keep it crunchy and prevent it from getting soggy. Let it cool until you apply the toppings.
- STEP 5. Top with marinara sauce, cheese, cherry tomatoes and basil.
- STEP 6. Place the pizza back into the oven and bake for 10 more minutes.
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: