Sushi is one of my favorites and I love making it at home. I decided to switch out the rice and use cauliflower “rice” instead. Don’t be intimidated by making your own sushi at home, it is so easy that it will quickly become your favorite meal to whip up when your hosting a dinner party. Your guests will be pleasantly surprised and won’t even be able to tell the substitution of cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower Rice Sushi
- 1 pack sushi grade tuna
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- scallions, thinly sliced
- cucumber, thinly sliced
- avocado, thinly sliced
- toasted nori sheets (I like to use Eden Sushi Nori)
- pickled ginger
- STEP 1. Defrost sushi grade tuna by placing it in the fridge over night. If you forget this step then you can easily place it in cold water for an hour or two to defrost.
- STEP 2. Wash and cut cauliflower in pieces. Place in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds, until it has rice like consistency.
- STEP 3. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the cauliflower. Sauté for a few minutes until it becomes tender. Add 2-3 tbsp of water if it starts to dry out, no need for extra oil.
- STEP 4. Slice the sushi diagonally so that the pieces are super thin.
- STEP 5. Slice the scallions, cucumber and avocado long and thin.
- STEP 6. Place the nori sheets on the bamboo mat and spread 3-4 tbsp of cauliflower rice onto the sheet. It should cover most of the sheet, but make sure to leave a 1 inch gap at the end furthest from you.
- STEP 7. Layer the sliced tuna and veggies onto the end closest to you. Wet the end without rice with a little bit of water and roll up into a long roll.
- STEP 8. Slice sushi into 6 or 8 pieces, depending on how thick or thin you want them to be. Serve with picked ginger, wasabi and spicy mayo.