Brownies used to be a favorite of mine as a child, but due to the high-carb and calorie content, I don’t eat them as often as I would like. Not the case with this healthy batch of brownies! These chocolate zucchini brownies are ideal for those who are watching their figure. I am not saying eat the entire pan or make them weekly but it is definitely a nice, healthier treat to enjoy on occasion. The batter is mainly made out of grated zucchini and almond flour. Zucchini is one of the most hydrating vegetables as it is 95% water based. Almond flour makes a great substitute for high-carb flour. Wheat flour contains 73 grams net carbs compared to 10 grams net carbs in 1 cup of almond flour. I have also cut down the calories and carbs by using Sukrin Fiber Gold Syrup in place of maple syrup (but feel free to use honey or maple syrup if you prefer). This fiber syrup has 3 grams net carbs per two tablespoons and is perfect for baking. Enjoy these lower carb brownies that I love so much!
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- coconut oil cooking spray
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 tbsp coconut butter, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup fiber gold syrup (Optional Substitute – Honey or Maple Syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp Lily’s chocolate chips
- pinch of sea salt
For The Chocolate Ganache
- 2 tbsp coconut cream or milk
- 30 grams dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp roasted walnuts, chopped
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- STEP 2. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- STEP 3. Grate the zucchini on the smallest blade of the grater so it looks like purée. Use a colander to drain out the water.
- STEP 4. In a large bowl, mix the zucchini, coconut butter, coconut oil, eggs, fiber syrup, and vanilla extract.
- STEP 5. Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, the chocolate chips, and sea salt. Mix until well combined.
- STEP 6. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool down before topping with ganache.
- STEP 7. Melt chocolate and mix with coconut cream in a microwave or on the stove. Pour over the brownies and top with roasted walnuts. Cut into 9 squares and enjoy!
Tools for this recipe