I absolutely love eggplant parmesan and this is my healthy version of it. Most recipes call for frying or baking the eggplant but by boiling it first, the eggplant meat becomes so tender without the use of too much oil. The flavors of kalamata olives, capers and oregano immediately takes your mind to the Greek islands. Due to its high antioxidant content, studies have shown that eating eggplant may reduce the risk of heart disease.
Mediterranean Eggplant Boats
- 1 eggplant, sliced in two
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 10 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 3 oz. vegan mozzarella (I like to use Miyoko’s Kitchen)
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- shredded vegan cheese
- cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- fresh basil
- STEP 1. Slice the eggplant in half longways.
- STEP 2. In a large pot bring water to a boil and place the eggplant in it for 15 minutes. Take out of water and scoop out the inside using a spoon. Chop the inside meat into small cubes.
- STEP 3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the eggplant meat, tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic, oregano, and chili flakes. Sauté for 5 minutes, until soft.
- STEP 4. Remove from heat and add the vegan mozzarella and basil. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- STEP 5. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- STEP 6. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and place the scooped out eggplant boats on it. Fill them with the veggie mixture and top with vegan cheese, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.
- STEP 7. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden on top.
Tools/Products Used For Recipes