This is one of my favorite Greek recipes. Every summer, I go to a different island with my mom and grandma. Since my grandma lives in Greece, we usually rent a villa for the three of us. It is a time we cherish together and during our trip we get to cook a lot as well as try new dishes from the region. A few years ago we were in Santorini, and came across the famous fava been purèe there. We loved it since the first time we tasted it and brought fava back with us. This recipe can be served as an appetizer or as a side dish with grilled fish.
Fava Bean Purèe
- 1 cup fava beans (yellow split peas)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp red onion, sliced
- STEP 1. Rinse the fava well and set aside.
- STEP 2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the chopped onion, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onions start to caramelize.
- STEP 3. Add the fava and stir well. Pour in the warm water and cook for 40 to 50 minutes, until the beans are soft and mushy.
- STEP 4. Drain the beans and keep the broth in a separate bowl.
- STEP 5. Place the beans into the food processor, add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper and blend. Add the broth if it needs to be thinned out. This is a preference so add as much as you need to.
- STEP 6. Serve in a plate with sliced red onions, capers and a drizzle of olive oil.