Eating home cooked meals is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy, slender figure. This requires a bit of planning. Below are some of my figure-friendly grocery tips. Find more tips plus a full grocery list in Heathy with Nedi’s Figure-Friendly Pantry List.
- Stock up for the week ahead. Always try to go grocery shopping and stock up for the week ahead during the weekend. This way your fridge, freezer, and pantry will be full with healthy foods and you won’t be tempted to order take out.
- Store lots of frozen vegetables in your freezer. I like to keep cauliflower (easy breezy substitution for mashed potatoes), butternut squash, spinach, and chopped kale (throw into a pasta sauce or sauté with quinoa) on hand. Frozen veggies last a very long time and they are perfect for a last minute family dinner.
- Stick to the 80/20 rule. Keep your purchases to 80% whole ingredients (such as produce, yogurt, lean meats, etc.) and only 20% packaged foods. Things like organic macaroni and cheese may be free of the chemicals, but still pack on the carbs, calories and fats.
- Plan your meals. Spend some time on the weekend planning out your meals for the week. The structure will help you stay on track.
- Never shop hungry. You’ve probably heard this one before, but make sure to grab at least a light bite before heading to the store. Otherwise you may end up picking up too much food or even worse, too many indulgences.