Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love making festive desserts, especially Christmas cookies. My best friend and I used to bake batches of Christmas cookies for our families when we were young. It was a beautiful tradition we had during middle and high school. Funny enough, back then we used flour, butter and sugar! 😉 Now, both of us avoid gluten, dairy and sugar! I created this recipe as a healthy substitute for those of us who have dietary restrictions and love to bake around the holidays. The cookies are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and low carb. They can be made vegan by using 1-2 tablespoons of apple sauce instead of the egg. Hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Xx
Gluten-Free Christmas Cookies
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup fiber syrup or honey
For The Icing:
- ½ cup sukrin icing or powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- STEP 1. Sift the almond flour to break up lumps and add to a mixing bowl. Add in the baking soda and sea salt. Mix well.
- STEP 2. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the vanilla extract, egg, coconut oil and syrup. Mix well. Add the dry ingredients and combine until you form a smooth ball. Wrap the dough in parchment paper and chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- STEP 3. Preheat oven to 325 F or 160 C.
- STEP 4. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and top it with saran wrap. Roll it out smoothly and remove the saran wrap.
- STEP 5. Using cookie cutters form the shapes of the cookies and transfer to a baking dish. I find it easier to cut out the parchment paper and place directly on a baking sheet as opposed to transferring each cookie separately. This will ensure they don’t break. If the dough starts to get soft, place is the freezer for 5 minutes and continue.
- STEP 6. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- STEP 7. Prepare the icing by mixing the ingredients in a small bowl. Dip the cooled cookies in icing and place on a piece of parchment paper. Top with green and red sprinkles.
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: