October is a tricky month when it comes to sweets. Growing up in Bulgaria, we didn’t celebrate Halloween and I was amazed by all the candy given to the trick or treaters in the USA. This is a fun and clever snack you can make together with your kids and get them to eat things they wouldn’t typically think of on Halloween. They will enjoy being your little kitchen assistant in creating banana ghosts and tiny pumpkins. Juicy delights such as clementines and the sweetness of the banana make the perfect Halloween snack. It’s important to try and limit the sugar that comes from unnatural sources such as the candy handed out on this holiday. There is a 60% risk of obesity in kids and many studies have shown that sugar is 8 times more addicting than cocaine! Sugar increases insulin, and insulin increases fat storage. Consider sugar your enemy and don’t feed your kids with poisonous candies handed out during Halloween. Instead, make my delicious and fun for the kids Halloween Treats! xx
Halloween Banana Ghosts & Clementine Pumpkins
- 10 clementines, peeled
- 4 bananas, peeled and cut in half
- 1 celery stalk, cut thinly and in 10 small pieces to be places at the “pumpkin’s stem”
- 12 mini chocolate chips
- STEP 1. Peel the clementines and stick the celery stem in each clementine.
- STEP 2. Peel the bananas and cut in half. Stick two chocolate chips into the banana with the pointy end to make eyes. Place 1 chip for the “mouth” with the smooth part facing out.
- STEP 3. Arrange on a serving platter and enjoy.