As the weather begins to get cooler I always crave warmer, comforting dishes. This soup is deliciously creamy and completely vegan. It is loaded with nutrients – one serving of lentils has 18g of protein and 12g of fiber! Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis. This is the perfect healthy and comforting soup to cozy up with on a chilly night. I recommend you to fill a mason jar, freeze and enjoy it on a cold winter day when you are not up for cooking! xx
Protein Rich Soup – Carrot Ginger with Lentils
- 1 and ½ cups yellow split lentils soaked for at least 8 hours or overnight
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 large carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inches of ginger, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- salt and black pepper to taste
- STEP 1. Soak yellow lentils for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- STEP 2. In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- STEP 3. Sauté onions and carrots for 3-4 mins.
- STEP 4. Add ginger, garlic, and cinnamon and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- STEP 5. Add all other ingredients, including the soaked lentils, bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- STEP 6. Before pureeing make sure lentils are soft but still intact – if they are still hard, simmer for another 10 mins.
- STEP 7. Remove bay leaf, and puree soup using a blender.
- STEP 8. Serve immediately.