This is a super easy meal that is ideal to whip up on a weekend. The slow cooked chicken is so tender and will easily fall of the bone. I think the cheese adds a very nice touch, so if you are Kosher, just use a vegan mozzarella cheese. You won’t regret it! The entire house will smell like you baked lasagna, only without all the extra calories and carbs.
Slow Cooked Chicken with Zoodles
For The Chicken:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 skinless chicken breast, butterflied and cut in half
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tomato, grated
- 1/3 cup water
For The Zoodle Casserole:
- 4 zucchini, spiralized and trimmed
- 1 24 oz. jar marinara sauce (I like to use Rao’s)
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- STEP 1. Turn slow cooker on low and add the onion, spices, grated tomato, and water. Let cook on low 6 hours. After 4 hours, break up the chicken with a fork to the sauce to absorb well for the next 2 hours of cooking. Turn off heat after 6 hours and shred the chicken using a fork. If there is any excess broth, drain it out.
- STEP 2. Salt zucchini noodles and let them sit aside to release any excess water. Gently squeeze them with a paper towel to get rid of the water.
- STEP 3. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- STEP 4. Add the zucchini noodles, chicken, marinara sauce and parsley to the casserole. Mix well.
- STEP 5. Top casserole with shredded cheese and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
Tools/Products Used In Recipe: