This spicy shrimp tempura is similar to the one from Nobu and it is my mom’s specialty! If you don’t have shrimp, try it with any white fish or vegetables. This dish can also be made in the air fryer – both ways are truly delicious.
Spicy Shrimp Tempura
- 12 medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-4 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
For The Spicy Sauce:
- 1 tbsp avocado mayo
- 1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 lime zest + juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- STEP 1. In a mixing bowl, add the egg yolk, flour and slowly start adding ice cold water. Mix until the batter forms a thick consistency.
- STEP 2. Heat avocado oil in a skillet over high heat.
- STEP 3. Dip the shrimp in the batter and add to a heated skillet. Cook shrimp for 1 minute on each side, until golden. Take out the shrimp and place it on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- STEP 4. In a small mixing bowl prepare the spicy sauce by adding all of the ingredients and whisking them together. Toss the shrimp in, mix well and garnish with scallions.
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: