This beautiful, rich green soup is packed with a ton of good stuff! It is full of liver cleansing sulphur found in leeks and garlic, as well as, a ton of antioxidants and vitamins. I love cooking with leeks, they add a little sweetness and so much flavor. The soup can be served hot or cold, and tastes delicious with a little bit of grated Bulgarian feta cheese. If you are following a plant-based diet, try Violife vegan feta cheese – super creamy and tastes like feta!
Spinach Leek Soup
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, cut lengthwise and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz spinach, chopped
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Optional Way To Thicken Soup:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or vegan sour cream
- Crumbled Bulgarian feta cheese or vegan feta
- STEP 1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 2 minutes and add the garlic and leeks. Cook for an additional minute, until soft.
- STEP 2. Add the spinach and stir well, until wilted.
- STEP 3. Add the water, salt, pepper, and crushed tomatoes and cover. Bring to a boil, and reduce to medium heat. Cook for 30 minutes.
- STEP 4. In a mixing bowl, mix the yogurt and egg.
- STEP 5. Turn the heat off from the soup and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- STEP 6. Take a ladle and scoop out some of the broth. Slow (very slowly) add it to the bowl with yogurt and egg while beating fast with a fork. This step is crucial. Add one more ladle of broth the same way. Once it is mixed well, add the yogurt mixture back into the soup and stir well.
- STEP 7. Add the feta cheese and enjoy a creamy spinach soup!