This incredibly delicious crème brûlèe is lighter than the original version, as I replaced heavy cream with coconut milk. What’s great about this recipe is that it is extremely easy to make. The crackly golden torched top is just divine. If you don’t own a kitchen torch, place the crème brûlée up to a broiler for a minute, until the sugar caramelizes.
Coconut Crème Brûlée
Makes 6 ramekins
- 1 whole egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut sugar per ramekin
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C).
- STEP 2. Heat coconut cream, milk, vanilla and honey in a pot over low to medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Don’t allow to boil, just warm up.
- STEP 3. In a large bowl, add one whole egg and four egg yolks. Whisk with a fork until the mixture is combined. Add the eggs to the pot with coconut cream.
- STEP 4. Using a ladle, pour the cream mixture into the ramekins. Place the ramekins in a large baking pan and add enough warm water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- STEP 5. Bake on 300 F for 60 minutes, until golden on top. Take out of the oven and cool on the side for a few minutes. Place in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
- STEP 6. Right before serving, sprinkle coconut sugar on top of the crème brûlèe and using a torch caramelize it.