This is one of my all time favorite dishes. My mom used to make it for my best friend and I, and we could never get enough of it! This Indian Coconut Chicken is so flavorful and the original recipe is made with basmati rice, but I prefer using quinoa instead for extra protein and fiber.
Indian Coconut Chicken
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 3 organic chicken breasts, cubed
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 (13 oz.) can organic coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- sea salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or cauliflower rice
- STEP 1. In a non stick pan, roast the spices – coriander, cumin, turmeric, curry and black pepper. Roast for 1-2 minutes, until they give off an aroma. Set aside.
- STEP 2. In a pan, heat peanut oil & sauté onions for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, chili pepper, and chicken. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, until chicken is golden.
- STEP 3. Add roasted spices, chicken stock, coconut milk and ginger. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- STEP 4. Season to taste with lime, cilantro and sea salt.
- STEP 5. Serve over quinoa or cauliflower rice.