My friend Alexa from Eating NYC and I decided to get together and create a delicious and healthy recipe inspired by a famous Persian dish called Kuku Sabzi. Kuku Sabzi is a traditional Persian frittata typically served at Nowruz (Persian New Year). The herbs symbolizing rebirth, and the eggs symbolizing fertility. This Persian herb frittata is packed with so much flavor and nutrients. The spinach in this recipe is a great source of antioxidants, calcium, and helps to fight inflammation in the body. Leeks add so much flavor to dishes, they are packed with fiber which help to keep you regular and remove toxins from the body. A lot of recipes use walnuts and barberries or chive/scallion instead of onions/leek. It is very versatile so have fun with it. We served it with coconut yogurt and cherry tomatoes but it can also be enjoyed with Labne or Greek yogurt. If you are in a rush and don’t have much time for chopping the veggies and herbs, throw them into a food processor. I personally love to chop veggie sand find it so therapeutic. I hope you all enjoy this incredible recipe!
Kuku Sabzi Persian Herb Frittata
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 bunches parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch dill, finely chopped
- 1 (9 oz.) bag spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 5 eggs, whisked
- STEP 1. Finely chop the onion and leek and set aside in a mixing bowl. Continue chopping the rest of the vegetables and herbs. Set aside in a different bowl.
- STEP 2. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add the turmeric, sea salt, pepper, fenugreek and chili flakes.
- STEP 3. Preheat oven to 450 F or 230 C.
- STEP 4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and leeks and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until lightly brown.
- STEP 5. Add the finely chopped herbs and veggies. Saute for another 5 minutes, until wilted.
- STEP 6. Add the whisked eggs to the skillet and mix using a spatula. Flatten it out and cover. Bring the heat to low and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- STEP 7. Uncover the skillet and place in the preheated oven for about 3-5 minutes until golden on top.
- STEP 8. Take out of the oven and cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Slice it into pieces and serve with yogurt and tomatoes.
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: