Happy Meatless Monday!
Cutting meat out of your diet just one day a week (or one week a year, like in my 1-Week Vegan Detox) can be a great way to jump start your health and be environmentally friendly! For the next couple of weeks, I will share my favorite meatless meals for Meatless Monday and beyond.
Stuffed Portobella Mushrooms
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 large tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- olive oil, drizzle on top of mushrooms
- salt & pepper to taste
Optional: feel free to add some herbs like oregano and rosemary if you have some at home.
- Step 1. Preheat oven to 450F.
- Step 2. Bring water to a boil and add quinoa. Season with sea salt and 1 tbsp tamari. Cook covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 3. Wash the mushrooms, and pop out the middle part.
- Step 4. Place the mushrooms on a cooking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt.
- Step 5. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Step 6. In a glass bow, mix basil, cilantro, pomegranate seeds, pine nuts and tahini.
- Step 7. Add the cooked quinoa to the mixture and the juice of one lemon.
- Step 8. Take mushrooms out of the oven and drain any water that formed on them.
- Step 9. Place mushrooms in a serving plate and stuff with the stuffing.