Rice with leeks and spinach is a classic side dish that we serve on Easter accompanied by slow cooked lamb. This recipe is light and can be eaten on its own or as a side dish to protein. The leeks add a creaminess to the rice, and it melts in your mouth.
Rice with Leeks and Spinach
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive
- 1 leek, cut in half and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- STEP 2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the leek, onion and carrot for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and spinach. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- STEP 3. Add 1 cup of rice and season with turmeric, chili flakes, sea salt and pepper. Add the water and mix well.
- STEP 4. Transfer the rice and veggies to a baking dish and decorate with cherry tomatoes on top.
- STEP 5. Bake for 25 minutes, until the water is absorbed, and rice is golden.
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: