Butternut squash is a delightful dessert that brings back lovely memories from my childhood in Bulgaria. This is a dessert that my grandma and mom often made during the fall and winter months and I really loved it. This can be eaten simple with a drizzle of honey or for more flavor and presentation, you may use all of the ingredients. Butternut squash is low in calories (only 42 per cup) and high in fiber, making it a heart friendly food. Its low fat and high fiber content make it a great weight loss dessert. It is considered a nutritional powerhouse due to its high antioxidant, potassium, folate and vitamin content.
- 1/2 butternut squash
- handful of raisins
- handful of chopped nuts, (of choice)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- pinch of cinnamon
- STEP 1. Cut the squash lengthwise, and discard the seeds.
- STEP 2. Peel and cut into cubes 1 inch pieces.
- STEP 3. Boil it for 20 minutes until soft.
- STEP 4. Drain the water and place the squash in dessert bowls.
- STEP 5. Top with raisins and chopped nuts. Garnish with a pinch of cinnamon and honey.