Okra is a really great veggie that tastes exquisite on its own or when paired with seafood. It is the perfect hearty fall dish to enjoy on a chilly night. Okra is low in calories, high in dietary fiber and contains many vitamins, including A, B, C, E, and K. Okra nutrition provides many health benefits, such as improving heart health, eyesight and cholesterol levels. Studies have suggested that eating okra may help lower blood sugar in cases of diabetes.
- 1 lb. okra (try to get baby okra)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- STEP 1. Clean okra by cutting the top hard part off and rinse with water. If you buy frozen okra you can skip this step.
- STEP 2. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- STEP 3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic, and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the grated tomatoes, okra, parsley, turmeric, chili flakes and season with sea salt and black pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- STEP 4. In a baking dish, add the sautéed veggies. Add enough vegetable broth so that it covers the okra half way.
- STEP 5. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.
Tools/Products Used For This Recipe: