Claire Grieve is a gorgeous, plant-based yoga teacher and health coach based in Los Angeles. I met Claire last year when I was in LA and could tell immediately that she has a true passion for wellness and inspiring others to lead a healthy lifestyle. Claire’s mission is to empower her students from all walks of life to push past their boundaries, reach their goals and live a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself?
Growing up on a small farm in Australia, a love of health and fitness was engraved in me at an early age. Once I moved to LA and discovered yoga, my personal journey and passion for this lifestyle led me to build a career out of it. Yoga is more than just fitness, it’s a lifestyle and a mindset. I feel so fortunate and lucky to have found something that not only brings me fulfillment, but also the opportunity to share it with others and help them better themselves.
2. What inspired you to switch to a plant-based diet?
After discovering that I had a high level of mercury toxicity I decided to eliminate seafood and meat. I was willing to do anything possible to detox and this led me to try my blood type diet – Type A and eat plant- based.
Plant-based foods are loaded with healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytochemicals and provide an abundance of nutrients for your body. My daily staples are whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and legumes. Transitioning away from processed foods to a plant-based way of life will make your body function optimally.
3. Have you noticed any major changes in your body since you have become plant-based?
I have never felt better eating so many fresh fruits and vegetables. I have more energy, glowing skin, smooth and seamless digestion. It all around allows my body to navigate daily life and the stresses that come with it at a bulletproof level. Plus, my daily meal choices have become that much easier. I know what I can’t eat, so I focus on what I can eat. I know I am putting foods in my body that truly fuel me and that are complementary to my system as opposed to making it work harder to digest.
4. Tell us what a day of meals looks like for you from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep?
I always start my morning with a glass of warm water and fresh lemon on an empty stomach. This helps detox and also prepare my digestion for the rest of the day.
When I feel like caffeine or get that afternoon slump, my go-to is a green tea matcha-almond milk late. Matcha is jam-packed with anti-oxidants and neurotransmitter enhances that give me a boost without the crash later.
I live for my Green smoothies. It’s the favorite part of my morning. I have mastered how to make the healthiest smoothies, that also taste the best. I make sure mine are SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) friendly to ensure that my belly is happy. My usual is a mix of pineapple, kiwi, cucumber, spinach, plant protein and almond milk.
When it comes to lunch I go simple and green. A big salad of greens, avocado, grilled veggies. Otherwise, I am a fan of avocado toast and eggs. I skip the bread or eat gluten-free. The protein and good fat combination keeps my stamina going so I can teach my afternoon clients. In between meals I’ll snack on healthy choices that are easily transportable like fresh fruit, nuts and seeds. I also aim to drink 2-3 litres of alkaline water daily to stay hydrated and keep my pH balanced.
For dinner, I look forward to my bowl of goodness with rice, cooked veggies, squash, kale, spinach, carrots, zucchini, quinoa, broccoli. It’s a beautiful, colorful mix that is the perfect topper to my day. If I need a treat I love fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth. I always try to follow food combining rules and eat it on its own.
5. Do you have a workout routine that you follow?
I’m much more gentle on my body than I used to be. I listen to and love my body and find that it loves me back. Yoga is obviously my go-to, but I love pilates, walking any chance I can get and hiking outside to get my Vitamin D. I also supplement my workout routine with daily meditation.
I used to put so much pressure on my body with heavy weight training, HIIT, running and it didn’t serve my system. I was always in pain and inflamed. I started incorporating mindfulness into my life and realized I felt anxious and stressed after these workouts. My body is at its strongest and most toned. Everyone is individual and I’ve learnt what works for one person with diet and exercise can be totally opposite for another.
6. What are your tips on maintaining a healthy lifestyle while on the go?
- Practice mindful meditation to relive stress through out the day. I try to start and end my day with a mini vacation for myself. Sitting quietly for 5-20 minutes and focusing on my breath helps me to feel balanced, grounded and ready for the day.
- Always make sure you get enough sleep. I love having a chamomile tea at night or an Epsom salt bath to ease me into relaxation mode. Shutting off technology, e-mail and social media an hour before is a self-care habit that has worked wonders on my stress relief and efficiency of my night rest.
- Prioritize your healthy food choices, and invest in the tools to do so. Get a Vitamix, and be sure you alway have an avocado on hand. These healthy habits will lead to more healthy habits, like finding time for a new fitness routine.
- I am also a believer in balance and giving yourself permission to indulge. I think it’s important to reward and treat yourself. Moderation is the key and you will find that you need less of it the more you integrate wiser choices for you plate.
- Most importantly self-care and finding time to play. Without that, you can’t enjoy all the other things. What that looks like will vary to each individual, but for me its pampering myself with a massage or enjoying quality time with friends.
7. Which products are always in your travel bag?
Kopari coconut skin and body products are my favorite. My skincare regime is simple. Keep your skin clean and protect it from the sun and aging. My moisturiser contains sunscreen so I never forget my SPF. I also love to boost my skin after flying with sheet masks and eye patches. My favourites are Rodial – Dragons Blood Eye mask with arnica extract and resin from the danger de drago tree. This reduces puffiness, inflammation and fine lines. SK-II and Pumpkin 24k gold face sheets are my cure for jet lag skin.
Follow Claire on Instagram for daily yoga and wellness inspiration.