“All disease begins in the gut.” ~ Hippocrates
This soup is the ideal meal for healing a leaky gut. Leaky gut occurs when you get holes in the tight junctions in your gut. Certain particles like toxins, microbes, bad bacteria and undigested protein can leak into the bloodstream and create inflammation throughout the entire body. Leaky gut is linked with gas, bloating, digestive issues, food sensitivities, thyroid conditions, adrenal fatigue, skin issues. This soup is packed with anti-inflammatory goodness. I love that I was able to toss some parsnip in there… just one cup of parsnips provides you with 5g of fiber, lots of B vitamins, and folate! The combination of butternut squash and carrots brings so much creaminess without the need to use heavy cream! It is dairy free, sugar free and gluten free!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups grass-fed beef bone broth (can use vegetable broth for vegans)
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup parsnip, cubed
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 inch ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Optional: top with coconut milk and pomegranate seeds
- STEP 1. Add water and broth to a large pot over medium heat.
- STEP 2. Add all of the ingredients, besides parsley and olive oil. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- STEP 3. Add olive oil and parsley at the end.
- STEP 4. In small batches, transfer the vegetables to a high-powered blender. Add water as you go, depending on how thick or thin you want the soup to be. For thicker, add less broth, and for thinner add more broth. Blend until smooth.
- STEP 5. Serve immediately.