Warming family-friendly lentil soup for the cold winter months. Lentils are a great source of fiber, protein and are a low-calorie food. They help control weight management, lower the risk of cancer, aid in digestion, boost metabolism, and help control diabetes.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 cups brown lentils (uncooked)
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- STEP 1. In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- STEP 2. Add the green pepper, garlic, lentils, tomatoes, water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the oregano and chili flakes.
- STEP 3. Simmer covered for 1 hour, until the lentils are soft. Turn off heat and top with parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.