This vegan mac and cheese is a dream come true for those who are intolerant to dairy or simply aren’t fans of it. It is so delicious, and I assure you, you won’t be able to tell it is dairy free. The pasta used in this recipe has 40% less calories and 40% less net carbs than regular pasta. It is high in fiber (19g per serving) and with combination of the broccoli, it will keep you feeling full for longer. This is a great dish to serve even for those who are picky eaters. Enjoy!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 small broccoli head, cut in small pieces
- 1 packet Fiber Gourmet elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast + more for topping
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 375 F or 190 C.
- STEP 2. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the broccoli. Cook for 8- 10 minutes, until soft. Drain and set aside.
- STEP 3. Bring another pot of water to a boil and cook pasta as per package instructions.
- STEP 4. In a small bowl, soak the cashews with hot water for 20 minutes. Discard water.
- STEP 5. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the onion and butternut squash. Cook for 15 minutes, until soft. Drain the veggies.
- STEP 6. Add the cashews, butternut squash, onion, almond milk, nutritional yeast, sweet paprika to a food processor. Blend until smooth. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little more almond milk.
- STEP 7. Drain the pasta and add the butternut squash sauce to the pot. Add the broccoli, season with sea salt and pepper and stir well.
- STEP 8. Add the mac and cheese pasta to an 8×8 inch baking dish. Top with shredded vegan cheese and nutritional yeast.
- STEP 9. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden on top.
Tools/Products Used In This Recipe: