This roasted Israeli eggplant is inspired by the eggplant appetizer at one of my favorite Israeli restaurants – HaSalon. This combination of flavors is absolutely insane. My entire family was speechless! Try to pick out an eggplant that is lighter, it will bake better in the oven. This dish can be enjoyed on its own or with Grilled Chicken Burgers.
Roasted Israeli Eggplant
- 1 eggplant, cut in half long way
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, skin removed and grated
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp tahini
- STEP 1. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- STEP 2. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Drizzle eggplant with olive oil and season eggplant with sea salt and pepper to taste. Make a few vertical and horizontal slices across eggplant. Place in the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- STEP 3. While the eggplant is baking, grate the tomato in a bowl and discard the skin.
- STEP 4. Chop onion and chives and set aside. Remove eggplant from oven and place in a serving dish. Top with grated tomato, onions, chives, chili flakes and drizzle with tahini. Enjoy hot or cold.
Tools/Products Used For This Recipe: